Thursday, September 20, 2012

The greed and goodness of a girl



Never underestimate the depth of greed and full understanding of a person’s capacity to take advantage of a situation of their fellow human being when given the opportunity. Ethnicity, socio-economic standing, political sway, religious faith and age have nothing to do with it. It’s not wired into our unique genetic blueprints necessarily, but it is a common characteristic we all possess.

In October 1964 such a person came into my family. Nearly eight years after me and my equally quirky older brother came ranting into the world, we suddenly had a new sibling. It was a she – a nearly perfect biological and well-behaved specimen whose presence never spooked our parents with episodes of dangerous sleepwalking, accidentally busting out windows with baseballs; losing baby alligators purchased from F.W. Woolworth’s to roam the house; faking drowning at the neighborhood pool; and heartlessly turning anthills into smoldering ruins from the laser-like beams from magnifying glasses reflecting a blazing hot, Hoosier summer sun.

Her trademark was an ever-present smile or grin. In sunshine and in shadow.


When she was about three-years-old, my parents felt confident to leave my sister with me and my brother for a few hours as they gathered to play Clabber or Tripoli with other similarly oppressed neighborhood married couples. But my older brother soon entered high school and his interests and pursuits were more varied and hormonal. So the large duty fell to me, which, of course I didn’t mind all that much, as long as I had my Archie comics and eerie Danny O’Day ventriloquist dummy for real company.

Already deep into my own burgeoning greed, I learned how to pack my sister’s cup with so much ice that when we split a 12-ounce Double-Cola, she would end up with about three ounces of soda. If there were potato chips, I would neatly count them out like that guy did before Jesus drop-kicked out of the Temple before Passover: One for you, two for me… One for you, three for me. There you go, now we’re about even. Isn’t this nice? Need some more ice in your cup?

At the same time, I was fast developing the art of swiping an occasional Pall Mall or Kent cigarette from my parents. It got more difficult to hide my puffing from a kindergartener who was pretty much on to my scam. So we had a deal on most babysitting nights: In exchange for a quarter, I could huff those purloined smokes. No questions asked. No threat of being turned in.

By and by, the stakes got higher. On an early December evening, I somehow stumbled on a Sears Silvertone 12-string guitar, obviously meant for my Christmas present. The instrument was expertly hidden like the Holy Grail in their closet, right behind Dad’s sport coats and some other stuff. Well beyond the means of a 12-year-old kid’s search capabilities.

After discovering this treasure, I felt a sense of responsibility. So I tuned the guitar and practiced some tunes. I would return to this ritual a few occasions on nights when the folks were away. Then I finally got busted by youngest, toughest thug this side of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.
The extortion rate escalated. I have no idea what it cost me, but I paid dearly for her silence. 

Perhaps as much as fifty cents each episode. I was in the ultimate adolescent trick bag, shaken down by a shrewd five-year-old. But what can one do? I didn’t want to disappoint my parents on Christmas morning by playing a guitar that wasn’t in tune.

In the end, my own greed did me in more than the my little sister. It didn’t take long for the truth to surface. And we laughed – as we still do – about it.

In the several decades which have passed, she has moved on to different and higher-level planes. For years, she has been a great wife, mother to her two boys, doting daughter to our Mom and friend to all. She burns more energy and spirit pouring herself into volunteer and outreach activities than any person I know and always the first person to step up when help is needed. She’s a well-respected pharmacist whose patients, colleagues and employees trust without question.

Her name is Kris. But she will always be my “Sis.”  And she still wears that trademark grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment