Friday, September 7, 2012

An ugly dog day afternoon



We all have our quirks, don’t we? They may not always surface and make witnesses gasp yet they exist. And sometimes they rarely manifest; spontaneous occurrences which might cause a physical reaction to something observed in others. Before I reveal what brings me to my knees let me give you some background.

I am a veteran Army military police officer. While most of my work involved highly detailed “intelligence security guard” work, it occasionally drifted into responding to physical violence at its guttural level. Separating drunken GIs, while taking an occasional swing with a fist or nightstick. Perhaps dragging a combative, busted John Wayne who somehow managed to fall “up” a half-flight of stairs on his way to booking. Only drew my “trust rusty” 1920 .45 automatic once that I can recall, but fortunately did not have to fire it.

Later on, I became a daily newspaper reporter. In the small river-town I worked in, there were infrequent violent assaults, gruesome highway accidents and fatalities and the occasional murder, farm death or drowning to be on the scene to cover. A few suicides involving ropes or a shotgun. In fact, I was asked to help out on a few occasions – freelance mind you – to assist with autopsy photography with the local sheriff’s department.  

Several years later, I was in northern Saudi Arabia and Kuwait City to cover the aftermath of Desert Storm. I won’t share what few scenes I happened upon.


In a tamer world, I have been spewed on by children and grandchildren and endured more than I care to remember. It goes with the turf. I have nursed loved ones and complete strangers oozing with indescribable human flotsam and jetsam. Yet, there is something I have yet to tame.

With one exception: Today when I arrived home from work, a hideous odor slammed me like a hurricane. In a distant corner, my aging roommate, Patrick, cowered in a corner as I stepped into the kitchen. The foul and unintended duty had been done.

My welcome home was a wall-to-wall, full-court press of canine crap throughout the kitchen. It was panoramic splatter on par with a dark-sepia Goodfellas hit scene. After my girlish yelps, I immediately sent the suspect to the backyard, changed clothes and went into action.

I retrieved three plastic bags (thank you, Kroger) and began the fecal forensic cleanup work. Two for the dog’s mess. And one for me. On hands and knees, armed with wads of paper towels, Clorox and plastic scraper, I made my way across that cheap linoleum with my t-shirt neck pulled up above my nose. Scraping, wiping and gagging my way through the crucible. The work nearly done and two bags filled, it was time for one bag for the master.

I hurled. And let any further descriptions or explanations end with that, but noting the importance of the third bag. Thank God I am not the subject of a reality TV show.

After recovering, I let my roommate back into the house and he cocked his head questioningly as I wiped my face with a cool washrag. It was as if he was saying, Sorry about that, amigo. A dog’s gotta do what he’s gotta do when he reaches my age! Hey, if you don’t mind too much, how about topping of the bowl with some IAMS, my brother!

Funny what triggers a gut reaction in each of us. Mine happens to dog me on a rare occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment