Thursday, October 27, 2011

A conversation with two presidential candidates


And two more candidates have tossed their hats into the ring, making a bid for a run at the U.S. presidency in 2012. Both are independent candidates who have refused to align themselves with the Democratic and Republican parties, nor with the surging Tea Party and so-called “Occupy Movement.”

Karl Childers hails from a small Arkansas town and admits having no previous political experience, though he admits he has an admirable track record in repairing lawnmowers and sharpening cutting devices.

Forrest Gump is a lifelong resident of Greenbow, Ala., had a stunning football career at the University of Alabama and then shipped off to the Army, where he later received the Medal of Honor for heroic actions in Vietnam. He amassed a fortune in the shrimp industry, which he largely credits to an Army buddy named “Bubba.”

We thank Misters Childers and Gump for joining us here tonight on CNN News to discuss their views and why they are seeking the White House. Let’s begin with our friend from Alabama…


Q:  Mr. Gump, why did you decide to enter this campaign? More specifically, why are delving into a race of such a high level?
GUMP:  Well, my Mama always said “politics is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”

Q: Mr. Childers, in the past you’ve shown little or no interest in politics or issues facing this nation. In fact, we have it on record you have never voted. Why are you in this race?
CHILDERS: Mm-huh. There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the bathroom. One fellar said, "The water's cold,” and the other fellar said, “The water's deep.”  I believe one fella come from Arkansas. Get it?

Q: Well, not quite, but let me shift gears a moment. One of the biggest challenges the next president will face is getting a handle on the economy, particularly government spending and the deficit. What plan or instrument would you use to address this?
CHILDERS:  Well, I reckon I could  cut it some. Done had some experience that way. Some folks call it a sling blade. I call it a Kaiser blade. Sharp on the edge and dull on the other It’s what the highway boys use to cut down weeds and what-not.  Mm-huh.

Q:  Okay, back to you, Mr. Gump. What attracts you to running for the Oval Office? We know you have had encounters with past presidents. Perhaps you got a taste of what real political power could be, no?
GUMP:  When I was a boy it just became clear to me. Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running! The best thing about visiting the President is the food! Now, since it was all free, and I wasn't hungry but thirsty, I must've drank me 15 Doctor Peppers!

Q:  Just a follow-up to that. You’re a highly decorated hero of the Vietnam War. What was it like to receive such a high honor, be wounded and then return home when there was so much anti-war sentiment?
GUMP: They said it was a million dollar wound, but the army must keep that money 'cause I still haven't seen a nickel of that million dollars.

Q: Mr. Childers, some observers of this campaign say religious affiliation plays a significant role in our choice for the next president. For example, some have been critical of Mitt Romney’s membership in the Mormon Church. What’s your take on this, sir and do you read the Bible?
CHILDERS: I learned to read some. I read the Bible quite a bit. I can't understand all of it, but I reckon I understand a good deal of it.

Q: With most modern political campaigns, it’s become evident that getting the support of gay voters is more important. How do you balance that need with your Christian beliefs, Mr. Childers?
CHILDERS: Mm-huh. I remember that funny fellar named Vaughan I knew before they sent me back to the nervous hospital. He was a good person to that little friend of mine and his Mama who was getting’ abused by that mean ol’ Doyle.  I remember tellin’ Vaughan, “ I don't reckon you have to go with women to be a good daddy to a boy. You been real square-dealin' with me. The Bible says two men ought not lay together. But I don't reckon the Good Lord would send anybody like you to Hades.”

Q:  That’s a powerful statement… Shifting again back to our Alabama candidate. Mr. Gump. Some suggest that beyond the nation’s war on terrorism, there looms a greater threat in the form of economics, notably the growth of the People’s Republic of China’s hold on world markets. How do you respond to that?
GUMP:  When I was in China on the All-American Ping Pong team, I just loved playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping-pong paddle.

Q:  Not sure our viewers quite understand that, but I have to move on, sir. What is your vision for America?
GUMP:  Reminds me back when I was in that Vietnam. Yes. Well, I-I don't know. Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out... and then it was nice. It was like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bayou. There was always a million sparkles on the water like that mountain lake. It was so clear, it  looked like there were two skies one on top of the other. And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began. It's so beautiful. Any way, that’s what I see.

Q:  Mr. Childers, politicians are always keen on discussing the many obstacles and problems faced by children in this country. What’s your opinion on this?
CHILDERS:  I don't think anything bad ought to happen to children. I think the bad stuff should be saved up for the people who has grown up already. That's the way I see it.

Q.  Let’s probe a little deeper into what makes Karl Childers tick.
CHILDERS: Mm-huh. All right, then.
Q.  You always seem to be deep in thought. What do you spend most of your time dwelling on?
A.  I was thinking I was gonna take some of them French-fried taters and some mustard you had back in that green room that really weren’t green. maybe a bisquit or two, if you’ve a mind, and a couple o’ cans of that potted meat you have there.

Q.  Last word goes to you Mr. Gump. What leadership skills do you bring to the table that will help our nation if you’re elected?
GUMP:  Mama told me once when I was trying to go to school with all them other boys and girls, “Remember what I told you, Forrest. You're no different than anybody else is. Did you hear what I said, Forrest? You're the same as everybody else. You are no different.  And that’s all I’m gonna say about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment